Pros and Cons of Using Technology – Arguments Against the Importance of Technology
On a daily basis, both businesses and individuals use technology. We cannot deny, technology has become part of our lives, at least every one of us has to use it, either for communication, education, health purposes, job creation, travel or business growth. Lets take a simple look at communication. As humans, it is natural that we communicate. In the past this could be done through letters and postage companies would take a while to deliver your message.
But now each of us uses technology to communicate to our friends, business associates, consumers and loved ones. The simplicity of communication has been aided by the invention of mobile phones and internet. These two inventions have changed the way we communicate, which is a good thing in our society and generation as humans. Below I have listed a few detailed pros and cons of technology in our society and business world.
(1) . Pros and cons of technology in Business:
- Increased Production:
– Pro: Today businesses who have embraced technology have gained a competitive advantage in the market, technology can improve efficiency. Let’s take a simple example of a bakery using technology. If a bakery automates its production line and installs temperature sensors and cooling facilities, it will deliver quality products in time. These temperature censors can be programmed so that they send information to the operator and they find out when the room temperature drops or increases. This saves the operator of the bakery time and risks
– Cons: The use of automated systems in a bakery will mean that manual labor will be cut down which is a benefit to the business owner. But this will leave many people who would have done this task jobless. Also small bakeries which can’t afford this technology will be left out because deploying these automated temperature censors might be expensive for small businesses. Which means they will not be in position to compete which might also led to the collapse of the business and it will again result into loss of Jobs.
- Increases ROI ( Return On Investment):
–Pro: Technology will help a business to expand and increase its production. Technology will also help a business to reach its targeted clients at a much reduced cost. For example, a small business growing flowers can use engineered fertilizers to speed up the growth of their flowers, yet at the same time, they can use the internet to market their flowers with a little budget of only about $200. They will target clients who are interested in flowers and they will make money in a short period of time.
– Con: The small business owner may discover that he can do more with less, so he will not need to hire manual labor or pay for marketing experts to sell their flowers. At the end of the day, some people will be left jobless.
- Supports Shared Information through Decentralized Computing:
– Pro: Technology can help a business and organizations create a unit where all parties in the organization can access information at any given time. This can be implemented by creating a database which stores all data necessary in an organization. This will save time within the organization and encourage higher employee efficiency
– Con – Since this information is stored on a database, there is a high risk of losing this data. Hackers or unfaithful employees may take advantage of this vulnerability. Some companies create internal networks which can only be accessed from with in the company, still , if an employees is unfaithful, they can transfer that data using a flash disk, email,cd or any other portable storage device and sell that data to a competitor, which can damage the company.
(2) Pros and cons of using technology in the classroom:
- Pro – Computers and the internet have made it easier for students to access academic material at any given moment of the day. Now days students spend more time surfing and doing research online than they watch television. Websites like Wikipedia.org and Google.com have made internet research so simple and cheap or basically free.
- Con – Despite its abundance a lot of the information published online is inaccurate. Since most publishers do this for money, they write about any thing for the purpose of getting massive traffic from search engines to generate more money. A publisher will have a list of keywords most searched for online, and they will write what they know, no one will review this data, but a student will use this information thinking its all bullet proof. Most students have been penalized in some form because they use this type of data from internet.
(3) . Pros and cons of using technology in our Society:
- Pro – Today society is benefiting from the invention of mobile phones. Communications has become so easy and cheap. Not only that, but now you can make internet calls for free, all it takes is an install of SKYPE or Google Talk software on your laptop to start calling your friends for free. With this technology, you can even do a live video – video call for free using broadband internet. Technology has simplified communication.
- Con – Even though we have mobile phones and we love using them, technology has exposed us to predators. Now days, businesses have devised cookies which collect private data from our smart phones and they use that data to suggest adverts related to our interests. This means that we have no privacy when we use these smart phones.
This is just a summary of a few pro and cons in technology, feel free to add more points on this list.