The use of technology is increasing day by day, we all depend on technology and we use various technologies to accomplish specific tasks in our lives. Today we have various emerging technologies which impact our lives in different ways. Technology is being implemented in almost every section of our lives and business structures. It does not matter which industry you’re dealing in, technology will be of use in a certain manner. So embracing it and learning how to use technology in what ever we do is very important and recommended. As the world keeps on developing, technology will be changed, what is working today might not work not be efficient tomorrow. So it is better to stay up-to-date with new emerging technologies and learn how to embrace and use them in your daily life.
Below are some of the uses of technology today:
1. Use of Technology in Business: Today businesses can save money by using technology to perform certain tasks. When you compare the amount of money spent on hiring an individual to perform a certain task and to guarantee delivery on time, it is totally expensive. When it comes to technology a small business can scale out and deliver more with less human resource.
For example: If you operate a manufacturing business, instead of hiring so many people to work in certain section , you can replace that labor with a ”PLC” programmed production line which will automate the all process of manufacturing . The benefits of using a ”PLC” , is that productivity and accuracy will be better and first compared to using individuals.
Lets take another example: For retail inventories, they don’t have to employ more people to manage and keep track the number of inventories. All they have to do is to use database systems which can be accessed remotely. This will make inventory data more accessible to whoever needs it with in the company. This will cut off delays in delivery of this information and makes the work.
In conclusion businesses will need to use technology to speed up their services and cut down on costs. Though technology can’t do certain things, but it reduces on time and money.
2. The Use of technology in communication: Unlike in the past when communication was limited to letter writing and waiting for those postal services to deliver your message. Today technology has made the field of communications so easy. Now you can draft a business message and email it or fax in a second without any delays, the recipient will get the message an they will reply you instantly.
- Also technology has made business meetings so simple, with the introduction of video conferencing; you no longer have to worry to be late for a business meeting. Now with this video conferencing technology, you can be in the meeting in a virtual form and engage with your partners directly.
- Also technology has made it simple to get feed back from your clients on instant: This has been aided by the introductions of online business to consumer portals like ’’Facebook Business Pages’’. As a business, you will can get responses and suggestions from your customers via social network portals. All you need is to create your business page and promote it, so your clients will always post what they want on your wall and suggest areas of improvement. This will save you money on direct mail surveys and other means of getting information from your consumers.
Sites for video conferencing:
Accuconference.com : Use vide conferencing tools for ”Accuconference” and you will have face to face meetings just like as if you were in the same room. This technology will save you a lot of time and money.
vidyo.com : This is a leading provider of personal tele-presence for big enterprises. Their technology enables HD multipoint video conferencing and video collaboration
3. Use of technology in human relationships: As the world develops, people are getting more carried away with their work and carries. Today a lot is demanded so every one is busy to have time to find a relationship. So technology has also filled this part. With technology you can connect and meet new people while at work using social network technology. You can also use technology to find a new date without living your work. Now days people use mobile phone apps to meet and connect with new and old friends. Social networks like Facebook.com , Tagged.com have played a big role in connecting both old and new relationships.
However, virtual relationships are not as strong as physical relationships, so I advice you to take off time and meet these people you network with virtually and get to know each other better. On the other note, people who over participate in virtual relationships, end up with no friends in real life and they develop a diseases called cyber-sickness and loneliness.
Apps for Dating:
Eharmony : With this app, connections are based on various dimensions of which will result into a long term relationship. For those in need of long term relationships, i recommend Eharmony App. Get App:Get app here
4. Use of technology in education: Today, technology has made a very big change in the education world. With the invention of technological gadgets and mobile apps which helps students learn easily. Now days you can access a full library via a mobile app on any smart phone or ipad. Before inventing this technology, students had to go to physical libraries to get the information they need. some of these library Apps include
Apps for Education:
. The Library App – It brings the library in your hands.
. My Library: With this app , you can catalog your books by scanning the ISBN with your ipad camera and it helps students get access to free eBooks.
. Book Crawler: This app will solve the book cataloging problem for students, and it also has a location awareness which will help a student see what others around them are reading.
. Library Books: This App can track multiple library cards and let you know when you’ve got a book coming due.
The list is endless, but this is good example to show you that technology has made education simple.
5. Use of technology in purchasing: Technology has also made the buying and selling of good so flexible. With the introduction e-payment systems like Paypal.com and Square Wallet App , users can easily purchase any thing online without living the comfort of their homes.
For you to use paypal , you will have to sign up with the site for free, then connect your debit card details so that money is transferred from your physical bank account to your electronic PayPal account. So when you go to a store like Amazon.com , you can use your PayPal electronic credit to buy anything on AMAZON.COM . This has made purchasing of items so easy.
6. The Use of technology in agriculture: With the invention of Mobile App for farmers, they can use an App like ”FamGraze” to work faster and be more accurate while in the field and off the field. For example, ”FamGraze” app will help a farmer manage their grass more effectively by suggesting the cheapest feed for their livestock. This app will calculate the amount of grass your animals have in the field. You will need no paper or any spreadsheets to do all this. Saving you more time while in the field.
Then we also have the ” Horse Ration App ” , with this app the farmer accurately calculates the amount of feed t give their horse and avoid the obesity in their animals and health problems which can be cause by less or over feeding.
Then comes the use of technology in manufacturing fertilizers and tools for farmers, all this cuts down on the time and increases productivity. Get these two farmers Apps here
- Also technology has changed the agricultural industry by replacing human labor with machines that are operated or controlled by people or other machines. In the agricultural industry , productivity is a key factor. If production is high the farmer will make more profits so technology has helped farmers replace the old ways of farming with machines that can do the job in time right from the day of planting to the day of harvesting. Lets take a simple example. An animal-drawn plow replaced the dig-ging stick. Then later , that plow was replaced by the horse drawn moldboard plow. Currently, we have the large tractors that pull complex tilling machines. But, even these machines are being replaced by no-till or minimum-till farming practices, which reduce the amount of work it takes to prepare the soil for planting.
7. Use of technology in banking: Now electronic banking moving money has become so simple. The invention of VISA ELECTRON has made it simple to move with more money with out having any fears of getting robbed on the way. You can buy any thing with a Visa Electron card, so in this case you don’t have to move with cash.
Banks use the Visa neutral network software to spot fraud and determine which of their customers might default or go bankrupt. This neutral network is very good at spotting patterns, so if your profile looks like that of people who have defaulted, the bank will take action and save you from getting robbed.
8. Use of technology to control and harness natural forces: Natural forces affect and disrupt human life and daily economic activates. For example; Floods wash away farmland and homes, they carry out fertile top soil and disrupt the growth of crops. Also fires burn buildings, crops and forests which affect human life. However, technology has enabled humans build large dams which can harbor excess water and use that water to generate power. Also fire is tamed to heat our homes and process industrial materials. Wind is being used to generate electricity. We have converted solar energy to power which is being used in homes and businesses. All this is a result of using technology to control natural forces.
9: Use of technology in transportation: Transportation is one of the basic areas of technological activity. Both businesses and individuals have benefited from the new technologies in the travel industry. Time is money , so we must have first and efficient means of transport. Try to imagine life without well developed transportation systems. I think of transportation in the same light as food, clothing and shelter. It has become a basic need , because we use advanced transport means like cars , trains , airplanes to go to work , to transport goods , to go shopping, to visit friends and families and so much more. However, the transportation technology has been changing since 1800 to the recent years. Lets take a good example in the picture below.
The use of technology is unmeasurable, technology has played a big role in many other fields like health care , Job Creation and Data management . And this technology will keep on changing basing on the demands of people and the market. So its your role to keep your self up-to-date with trending technology.
How we use technology determines if it’s good or bad, helpful or harmful. Technology , itself, is neutral. But it is us who make it good or bad basing on how we use it .
Society makes choices between many alternatives. Each person makes a decision that influence the choice a society makes ( U.S. Department of Energy , Bud Smith) . So the way we choose to use technology will determine if it will benefit us positively or harm us in the long run.
This article was last updated on 8th-o6-2013